Friday 24 July 2015

My gear

I tend to get easily cold, especially my feet....lol. so the key for me staying warm is layers. I live in South Africa, so we don't have the luxury of pantogonia down jackets and fleece shells...lol. Most of my gear is k-way or first ascent. These are awesome brands and my purchases are done mostly at drifters, cape union mart or sportsmen warehouse. I use a 3 layer system, base layer, inner shell and outer shell. It's very important to keep warm as it's extremely cold on high altitude, especially on summit nights. I go by Alan's rules with my gear. You can read up on his website. Very motival mountaineer. -http://www.alanarnette.com

Alan's gear rules

1. Layer next to skin must be merino wool - breathes, wicks and doesn't stink plus feels good. 
2. Tops must have zips and collars - manage core temperature via venting or pull up to protect neck from sun and/or cold 
3. Jacket must have hood - integral part of core warmth system also serves as a stuff bag
4. Shell leg layer must have full length zips - must to get over boots and/or crampons in a hurry in bad weather 
5. Keep Neutrogena's Spectrum Plus Sunblock and Lip baum in outside pockets for easy access and frequent use
6. Always have snack in pocket for easy access. If it is a hassle to reach, you will not use it. 
Same goes for camera.
7. Use stuff sacks for small items and hoods for jackets or just stuff them into the open space in your pack.
8. Always keep a 'biner or two on the outside of your pack, handy for securing loose items and emergencies.


I will update my gear list as I go along and get nearer to the expedition, but this is my list for now:


  • Down Jacket - First Ascent
  • Technical Shell Jacket First Ascent
  • Shell pants K-way
  • Mid-weight fleece jacket - K-way
  • Light-weight fleece top - First Ascent 
  • 3 Sets Thermal underwear - First Ascent 
  • Fleece hiking pants - First Ascent 
  • Convertible hiking pants - First Ascent 
  • 2 Summit socks 
  • 4 Trekking socks 
  • 4 inner lining socks 
  • 2 Trekking poles - Black Diamond 
  • Down mitts - First Ascent
  • Liner gloves - First Ascent
  • Medium weight gloves - First Ascent
  • Hooded Buff 
  • Beanie - First Ascent
  • Duffel Bag Large - First Ascent 
  • Sleeping Bag - Ice Nino (minus 8 degrees) 
  • Thermal Liner - Sea to Summit Extreme thermal liner 
  • Mattress - Self Inflating air mattress 
  • 2 Head torch - Petzl (one as backup)
  • Small Back Pack - Karimor
  • Water holders - Nalgene wide mouth x3
  • Bottle Insulators - Freezo x3
  • Water bladder for back pack
  • Snow sunglasses 
  • Snow goggles 
  • Full gaiters - First Ascent

The follow gear will be hired for now:

  • Crampons - will hire these in Russia
  • Hiking boots - will hire these in Russia
  • Harness - Will hire in Russia
  • Ice Axe - Will hire in Russia


My first Aid and other goodies will be in another list of things to tick off. The above is just gear

No comments:

Post a Comment