Sunday 1 November 2015

Trad Climbing in Hamerkop Kloof - Magaliesberg



A few weeks ago, I went on a rock climbing trip for the day in Bronkies. This was great fun and it was a Sports climb. This means that permanent fixed protection including bolts and anchors which enable a climber to place quickdraws as they ascend the rock. I found this challenging and good fun. Today I went into the Magalies for Traditional (Trad) climbing – is where there is no permanent fixed protection on the rock and therefore the climber places temporary protection themselves before clipping into it. I had a lead climber, but I didn't feel at all comfortable climbing and it was making me nervous as hell. We spent a wonderful day out in the gully, but at the end of the day, I was all tense because I was so nervous and "scared" I have now decided to stick to sports climbing, until I feel more confident in rock climbing and I need to also train more on lead climbing - a climber tied into a dynamic rope and periodically clips into protection they have placed (trad climbing) or into a quickdraw clipped to a fixed bolt/ anchor (sport climbing). This is to protect them in case of a fall where a belayer can catch them on the rope.
Common sense is key to climbing.
When learning, always climb with either a professional (i.e. instructor) or an experienced friend. Don’t hesitate to question your instructor or climbing partner no matter their experience level, a good partner won’t mind you questioning their methods or checking safety.
  • Make sure when climbing you are always ‘safe’ and secured to the rope or an anchor via a ‘cows tail’ at all times!
  • Double check your knots and anchors
Having said this, I still had an awesome day and the views at the Magalies is just stunning.....


No comments:

Post a Comment